The Secretary of State’s office, Associated School Boards of South Dakota and the South Dakota Municipal League will again co-sponsor workshops covering all aspects of elections – from notices to the final canvass – including question-and-answer sessions.
The in-person workshop is scheduled for Wednesday, September 19 in Pierre beginning at 10 a.m. and scheduled to conclude at 3:30 p.m. Lunch will be provided and there is a $25 registration fee.
New Finance Officers and Business Managers are encouraged to attend the in-person training, if possible, and the registration deadline is Wednesday, September 5.
Download the registration form here for the in-person workshop, as well as for the six scheduled webinars, and return the form, along with $25 payment by Wednesday September 5, 2018 to:
South Dakota Municipal League
208 Island Drive
Fort Pierre, SD 57532
*NO REFUNDS AFTER September 5, 2018
In addition to the in-person workshop, there will be six, free webinar workshops scheduled to assist election officers in conducting elections with two different times scheduled – one at 9:30 a.m. (CDT) and another at 2:30 p.m. (CDT) with the length of the webinar varying; dates include:
Wednesday, December 5
- Election Types and Date (don’t forget to set your date)
- Combining elections vs. holding elections on the same day
- Election Calendar (appoint your election boards sooner rather than later)
- Precinct and Election Boards
- Public Notices
- Walk through the Secretary of State’s website and the Legislative Research Council’s site
Thursday, December 20
- Candidate Eligibility Requirements
- Petitions – Forms, Deadlines, Signature Requirements (change for cities) and Counting Signatures (walk through petition checklist). New petition challenge law.
- What if no one files?
- Financial Interest Statements (have to be filed every year now for applicable cities and schools)
- Vacancies –What Creates a Vacancy and How to Fill It
- Campaign Finance (for applicable cities and schools) – Who is Required to File, Restrictions, Disclaimers and Forms
Tuesday, March 5
- Ballot Preparation
- Who Can Vote – Voter Registration and Residency
Tuesday, March 12
- Absentee Voting – Application, Voting In-Person or by Mail, UOCAVA Voters (walk through SOS handout)
Tuesday, March 19
- Election Worker Training – you may use this to train your election workers.
- Walk through the Precinct Manual as a guide on “What to do on Election Day.”
Thursday, March 21
- What to ask your county auditor for (VR list, schools make sure to ask for all the counties your district covers)
- What should you, as the person in charge of the election, do on Election Day?
- Counting, Canvassing and Recounting – Provisional Ballots, Duties of Canvassers and Recount Process
Anyone wishing to attend a webinar can download the registration form here and return it via mail to the address above or via email to Lisa@sdmunicipalleague.org by Wednesday September 5, 2018. Each webinar is limited to 100 participants and those who register to attend the webinars will be emailed the login and call-in information one week prior to each workshop date.
If the allotted spots in the webinars are not reached, another reminder for registration for the webinars will be sent as their dates near.
If you have any questions about the in-person or webinar workshops, please contact Lori Martinec at Martinec@sdmunicipalleague.org or at 605-224-8654.
- Posted by asbsd
- 0 Comments