ASBSD Board Recognition Program – ALL
The ASBSD Board Recognition Program is designed to recognize school boards for their dedicated and ethical service to the students of South Dakota. This program will recognize board members’ participation in outside activities, board development and training, and demonstrated leadership at various areas and levels.
How does the recognition program work?
By participating in ASBSD activities, training opportunities and demonstrating leadership at the local, state and national level, board members accumulate points to achieve awards. For each level of award, Gold, Silver, and Bronze, point totals are counted in three separate categories.
Points are totaled throughout the fiscal year (July 1-June), but GAVEL Training (face-to-face or SBU) counts for a total of three years (past, present and future) under Learning Opportunities.
Download a PDF version of the ALL program description here.
ALL: ACT, LEARN, LEAD
ACT: Activities in this category demonstrate participation at various board functions. Examples would include attending ASBSD region meetings, Legislative Day, Annual Joint Convention or the NSBA national convention. This category is measured and points are assigned as to how many functions a board member has attended.
- Delegate Assembly (attendance) – 25 pts.
- Legislative Day – 30 pts.
- Region Meetings – 10 pts.
- ASBSD/SASD Joint Convention – 20 pts.
- NSBA National Convention – 20 pts.
- Presenter @ ASBSD/SASD Joint Convention – 20 pts.
- Presenter @ NSBA National Convention – 20 pts.
LEARN: Activities in this category center around board member training opportunities board members have attended and completed. Examples would include taking courses online through School Board U, or attending face to face training sessions for board specific workshops or ASBSD regional events. Points are assigned based on the learning opportunity and completion of that event. GAVEL Training (face-to-face or SBU) counts for a total of 3 years (past, present and future) under Learning Opportunities.
- GAVEL Workshops (face-to-face)
- School Board Governance – 40 pts.
- Fiscal Responsibility – 40 pts.
- Strategic Planning – 40 pts.
- School Board U (online training)
- School Board Governance – 30 pts.
- Fiscal Responsibility – 30 pts.
- Strategic Planning – 30 pts.
- New School Board Member Workshop – 30 pts.
- Ethical School Board Service – 30 pts.
- Board President/Superintendent Relationship – 30 pts.
- Legislative Action Network (LAN) Training – 20 pts.
- School Law Seminar – 30 pts.
- School Law Webinar – 20 pts.
- Collective Bargaining Workshop – 20 pts.
- Board Member Roles and Responsibilities Workshop – 40 pts.
- Other Training Opportunities not listed – 20 pts
LEAD: Activities in this category focus on leadership events or activities where board members take on a leadership role or participate in leadership training. Points are awarded for the involvement of the individual in a particular office, position or training. Examples would include serving as state board officer, attending the President’s Retreat/Workshop, or representing your District at ASBSD’s Delegate Assembly. Points are assigned based upon the activity or event, or completion of the leadership training.
- ASBSD President’s Workshop – 40 pts.
- ASBSD Board Director – 50 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – 2nd VP – 25 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – 1st VP – 25 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – President – 50 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – Past President – 50 pts.
- LAN officer – 25 pts.
- Delegate at Delegate Assembly – 25 pts.
- State Education Committee, Task Force, Board, or advisory – 50 pts.
- Protective Trust Board Member – 50 pts.
- Good News Bulletin Submission – 25 pts.
Total all categories (ACT, LEARN, LEAD) for a cumulative score of the board using all board members points earned. The cumulative score must have some points in each category by any Board member to be eligible for an award.
Gold Level School Board
500 cumulative point total
Silver Level School Board
350 cumulative point total
Bronze Level School Board
250 cumulative point total
In the course of a fiscal year (July 1-June 30), your school board had two members attend an ASBSD Region Meeting, you had 2 board members attend the ASBSD/SASD Joint Convention, and you had a board member attend ASBSD Delegate Assembly, but not as the appointed delegate for your District, but merely in attendance. Your Board would earn 85 points in the ACT category.
In the same year, your Board (5 members) had GAVEL Training (School Board Governance) in your District on-site. You also had 2 board members take GAVEL Fiscal Responsibility, and your board president took the Board President/Superintendent Relationship course, both courses via School Board U online. Two other Board members attended the Collective Bargaining Workshop and they also attended the School Law Seminar. Your Board would earn 370 points in the LEARN category.
Also in that fiscal year, your Board had a representative at ASBSD’s Delegate Assembly and a designated LAN officer (Legislative Action Network). Your Board would earn 50 points in the LEAD category.
ACT – 85
LEARN – 370
LEAD – 50
Total: 505 points = Gold Level Board
2017-18 ALL Award Winners
Gold member school boards include: Howard, Todd County, Lyman, Deubrook, Newell, Colome Consolidated, White River, Rapid City, Ipswich, Lead-Deadwood, Sioux Falls, Bon Homme, Garretson, Kimball, Montrose and Hot Springs.
Silver level school boards include: Deuel, Yankton, Marion, Eagle Butte, McIntosh, Madison Central, Aberdeen, Oldham-Ramona, Platte-Geddes, Clark, McLaughlin, Wilmot, Edmunds Central, Faulkton Area, Canton, Douglas, Mobridge-Pollock, Pierre, Hill City, Chamberlain, Haakon, Colman-Egan, Lake Preston, Rutland and Stanley County.
Bronze earning school boards include: Mitchell, Sioux Valley, Oglala Lakota County, Parker, Wolsey-Wessington, Gettysburg, Harrisburg, Herreid, Brookings, Faith Edgemont, Lemmon, Hanson, Leola and Langford Area.
Download a PDF version of the ALL program description here.