Selecting a superintendent is one of the most important decisions a school board makes. But it’s also a time consuming process. That’s why ASBSD developed the Superintendent Search Guidebook to help local districts to complete their own superintendent search.
Phase I: Self-Guided Search Resources
ASBSD will provide member school boards with a introduction to the superintendent search process and all the documents a school board needs to conduct a search. Phase I includes the Superintendent Search Guidebook, on-site training and a CD with editable search materials. The booklet includes all the information a board needs to conduct a search and select a candidate.
Phase II: Facilitated Search
For boards that would like help conducting a search, ASBSD offers PHASE II superintendent search services. ASBSD works directly with the board to facilitate the search to:
- Design the search district brochure (upon request)
- Establish timelines and process
- Establish costs the board will pay for candidates (travel, lodging, etc.)
- Review and develop the application form
- Define details within process (recommendation, screening process, interview committees, who will complete reference checks, etc.)
- Select final interview questionnaire
- Develop employment advertising and deploy the advertisement (district pays the cost of advertising).
Phase III: Facilitated Candidate Selection
School boards that want assistance selecting a candidate can opt for ASBSD’s Phase III superintendent search services. Phase III includes:
- Receive and process applications
- Screen and conduct confidential reference checks on the applicants
- Present applicants to the board with recommended finalists
- Assist the board in selecting candidates to interview (upon request)
- Schedule interviews for selected candidates
- Send letters to applicants not selected for interview
- Schedule site visits and/or final interviews (optional)
- Assist the board with the final selection and contract negotiations
- Inform other applicants that the position has been filled
Fees and Expenses
Other expenses (mileage, advertising, etc.) will be extra, as applicable.
- Phase I: $500
- Phase II: $2,000
- Phase III: $4,000
The district will also assume the costs of advertising the position and travel costs for any candidate interviews.
Contact ASBSD at 605-773-2500.