The Election Workshop schedule for 2017-18 is set.
The Secretary of State’s office, Associated School Boards of South Dakota and the South Dakota Municipal League will again co-sponsor the in-person Election Workshop with five additional, FREE workshop webinars on the schedule, as well.
The in-person training will take place on Wednesday, October 25 at the Ramkota RiverCentre in Pierre from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm (CDT). The in-person training covers all aspects of election and new business managers are encouraged to attend.
Cost of the in-person training is $25. Download the registration form here and return it, along with payment, by Tuesday, October 10 to:
South Dakota Municipal League
208 Island Drive
Fort Pierre, SD 57532
The FREE Election Workshop webinars will span five different days in December, January and March; each covering a different topics. There will be two separate webinar times – 9:30 a.m. (CDT) or 2:30 p.m. (CDT) – to choose from with 100 maximum attendees for each time.
Webinar dates and topics include:
Webinar 1 on Tuesday, December 5th for an estimated 45+ minutes:
- Election Types and Date (don’t forget to set your date);
- Combining elections vs. holding elections on the same day;
- Election Calendar (appoint your election boards sooner rather than later);
- Precinct and Election Boards;
- Public Notices (adding the optical scan notice);
- We will walk through our website and the Legislative Research Council’s site.
Webinar on Thursday, January 4th for an estimated 70+ minutes:
- Candidate Eligibility Requirements;
- Petitions – Forms, Deadlines, Signature Requirements (change for cities) and Counting Signatures (walk through the petition checklist). New petition challenge law;
- What if no one files?
- Financial Interest Statements (have to be filed every year now for applicable cities and schools);
- Vacancies – What Creates a Vacancy and How to Fill It;
- Campaign Finance (for applicable cities and schools) – Who is Required to File, Restrictions, Disclaimers and Forms.
Webinar 3 on Tuesday, March 6th for an estimated 35+ minutes:
- Ballot Preparation;
- Who Can Vote – Voter Registration and Residency;
- Absentee Voting – Application, Voting In-Person or by Mail, UOCAVA Voters (walk through our handout).
Webinar 4 on Wednesday, March 7th for an estimated 1:30+ hours:
- Election Worker Training – you can use this to train your election workers
- Walk through the Precinct Manual as a guide on “What to do on Election Day.”
Webinar 5 on Tuesday, March 13th for an estimated 25+ minutes:
- What to ask your county auditor for (VR list, schools make sure to ask for all the counties your district covers);
- What should you, as the person in charge of the election, do on Election Day?
- Counting, Canvassing and Recounting – Provisional Ballots, Duties of Canvassers and Recount Process.
To register for the free webinars, download the registration form here and return it to Lisa@sdmunicipalleague.org. Those who register to attend a webinar will be emailed the login and call-in information one week prior to each workshop.
Questions about the in-person or webinar workshops can be directed to SDML by phone at 605-224-8654 or email to Lisa@sdmunicipalleague.org.
- Posted by asbsd
- 0 Comments