Brush up on Collective Bargaining essentials at ASBSD seminars
Join the discussion on the negotiation process between school boards and district employees at ASBSD’s Collective Bargaining Seminars.
The 2016 Collective Bargaining Seminars will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 3 p.m. on:
- Saturday, Jan.9 in Chamberlain at Cedar Shore Resort (1500 Shoreline Drive)
- Saturday, Jan. 16 in Rapid City at the Ramkota Hotel & Conference Center (2112 B North LaCrosse)
The seminars will also coincide with ASBSD’s LAN Training events, which present school board members and administrators the opportunity to carpool to the location.
The event covers the collective bargaining essentials:
- Legal Requirements: SDCL Ch. 3-18-Bargaining Units, Obligation to Negotiate Mandatory Topics of Bargaining, Negotiated Agreement Policies as compared to School board Policies, Good Faith Bargaining, Impasse, Unfair Labor Practices, etc.
- Negotiations Process: Contract Review, Development of contract Proposals, Bargaining Teams and Team Spokesperson, Pre-Negotiations Sessions Communications, Ground Rules, Table Negotiations.
- Contract Provisions: Evaluation Policy, Reduction in Force Policy, Liquidated Damages Policy, Sick Leave and Sick Leave Bank Policies, Signing Bonus/Moving Expense Policy, Extracurricular Duty Pay Policy, Management Rights Policy, Insurance Policy, Workers’ Compensation Policy, Grievances, Contract Duration.
“School boards engage in open and honest communication with school employees during collective bargaining,” ASBSD Director of Policy and Legal Services Gerry Kaufman said. “These sessions are designed to equip boards with the knowledge of what to expect and how to react during negotiations.”
Registration is required for each seminar; please contact your district’s business manager to get registered for a seminar. Addresses are linked to a map of the seminars location.
For ASBSD members, the cost for the seminar is $110 for the first registrant per district and $75 for each additional person if completed 3 days in advance of the seminar and $150 for the first registrant per district, $115 each additional person after. Lunch will be provided.
A $25 cancellation fee will be assessed, if not completed 3 days prior to the event.
If you have questions about the seminars, please contact Gerry at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 605-773-2513.
- Posted by asbsd
- 0 Comments