The 2020-21 School Board/Municipal Election Workshops will be held online starting in December.
ASBSD in conjunction with the Secretary of State’s office and the South Dakota Municipal League are co-sponsoring webinar workshops covering all aspects of elections – from notices to the final canvass.
The six webinars are free of charge and offered at two different times on each date, which include:
Webinar 1 – Thursday December 10, 2020 Estimated time 45+ minutes at 9:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- Election Types and Date (don’t forget to set your election date)
- Combining elections vs. holding elections on the same day
- Election Calendar (appoint your election boards sooner rather than later)
- Precinct and Election Boards
- Public Notices
- Walk through the Secretary of State’s website and the Legislative Research Council’s site
Webinar 2 – Wednesday, December 16, 2020 (Estimated time 70+ minutes) at 9:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- Candidate Eligibility Requirements
- Petitions – Forms, Deadlines, Signature Requirements (change for cities) and Counting Signatures (walk through petitionchecklist). New petition challenge law.
- What if no one files?
- Financial Interest Statements (have to be filed every year now for applicable cities and schools)
- Vacancies –What Creates a Vacancy and How to Fill It
- Campaign Finance (for applicable cities and schools) – Who is Required to File, Restrictions, Disclaimers and Forms
Webinar 3 – Thursday, March 4, 2021 (Estimated time 40+ minutes) at 9:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- Ballot Preparation
- Who Can Vote – Voter Registration and Residency
Webinar 4 – Tuesday, March 16, 2021 (Estimated time 60+ minutes) at 9:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- Absentee Voting – Application, Voting In-Person or by Mail, UOCAVA Voters (walk through SOS handout)
Webinar 5 – Thursday, March 18, 2021 (Estimated time 1.5 + hours) at 9:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- Election Worker Training – you may use this to train your election workers.
- Walk through the Precinct Manual as a guide on “What to do on Election Day.”
Webinar 6 – Thursday, March 25, 2021 (Estimated time 30+ minutes) at 9:30 a.m. or 2:30 p.m. (Central Time)
- What to ask your county auditor for (VR list, schools make sure to ask for all the counties your district covers)
- What should you, as the person in charge of the election, do on Election Day?
- Counting, Canvassing and Recounting – Provisional Ballots, Duties of Canvassers and Recount Process
Those who register to attend the webinars will be emailed the login and call-in information one week prior to each workshop date.
If you have any questions about the webinar workshops, please contact Lori Martinec at Martinec@sdmunicipalleague.org or at 605-224-8654.
- Posted by asbsd
- 0 Comments