ASBSD plans to hold a final free ASBSD LAN Update webinars beginning at 7 p.m. (Central) for LAN members to discuss their role as a LAN member, advocating strategies and provide updates from the 2020 legislative session. The webinars are scheduled for:
Only business managers can register multiple people from their district for an event. All other individuals will only be able to register themselves. Click here for ASBSD Event Registration Information for Individuals.
Each attending LAN member earns a school board 20 ALL points.
“As the elected leaders in public education, it’s imperative for school board members to be active participants in advocacy,” ASBSD Executive Director Wade Pogany said. “We need each district to appoint a LAN Member and stay engaged in advocating for public education.”
ASBSD LAN is designed to engage local school board members to communicate to legislators the positions of ASBSD and their local board on legislative issues relating to public schools. Every school board appoints a board member, or board members should they want more than one, as its ASBSD LAN representative(s). Each appointed LAN member earns a school board 25 ALL points.
During session, ASBSD will periodically request LAN members contact their state legislators and communicate the legislative stance of ASBSD and their local school district.
LAN members effectively advocate the legislative positions that benefit public schools by:
- Maintaining dialogue with state policy-makers,
- Staying informed about current education issues,
- Contacting their legislators within a short period of time after receiving notice from ASBSD to advocate on behalf of their local board,
- Providing specific information to legislators from their local district perspective,
- Informing fellow board members of the relationship between state policy and public schools.
If you have questions about LAN or the training event, please contact Tyler Pickner at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 605-773-8382 or 605-881-3791.