One in-person election workshop and six webinar workshops – with two different times available – are scheduled to assist election officers in conducting elections for the 2019-20 school year.
The Secretary of State’s office, Associated School Boards of South Dakota and the South Dakota Municipal League will again co-sponsor workshops covering all aspects of elections – from notices to the final canvass – including question-and-answer sessions.
New Finance Officers and Business Managers are encouraged to attend the in-person training, if possible, which will be held on Thursday, September 19 from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (Central Time) at Drifters Event Center in Fort Pierre. There is a $25 registration fee and lunch will be provided.
The registration deadline for the in-person workshop is Thursday, September 5. To register, click here to complete the in-person workshop registration form (page 1) and submit it to:
South Dakota Municipal League
208 Island Drive
Fort Pierre, SD 57532
In addition to the in-person workshop, there will be six, FREE School Election Workshop webinars scheduled to assist election officers in conducting elections with two different times scheduled, one at 9:30 a.m. (CDT) and another at 2:30 p.m. (CDT) with the length of the webinar varying; dates include:
Thursday, December 5, 2019
- Election Types and Date (don’t forget to set your date)
- Combining elections vs. holding elections on the same day
- Election Calendar (appoint your election boards sooner rather than later)
- Precinct and Election Boards
- Public Notices
- Walk through the Secretary of State’s website and the Legislative Research Council’s site
Wednesday, December 11, 2019
- Candidate Eligibility Requirements
- Petitions – Forms, Deadlines, Signature Requirements (change for cities) and Counting Signatures (walk through petition checklist). New petition challenge law.
- What if no one files?
- Financial Interest Statements (have to be filed every year now for applicable cities and schools)
- Vacancies –What Creates a Vacancy and How to Fill It
- Campaign Finance (for applicable cities and schools) – Who is Required to File, Restrictions, Disclaimers and Forms
Wednesday, January 8, 2020
- Ballot Preparation
- Who Can Vote – Voter Registration and Residency
Thursday, January 9, 2020
- Absentee Voting – Application, Voting In-Person or by Mail, UOCAVA Voters (walk through SOS handout)
Wednesday, January 22, 2020
- Election Worker Training – you may use this to train your election workers.
- Walk through the Precinct Manual as a guide on “What to do on Election Day.”
Thursday, January 23, 2020
- What to ask your county auditor for (VR list, schools make sure to ask for all the counties your district covers)
- What should you, as the person in charge of the election, do on Election Day?
- Counting, Canvassing and Recounting – Provisional Ballots, Duties of Canvassers and Recount Process
Each webinar is limited to 100 participants and anyone wishing to attend a webinar can download the registration form here (page 2) and return it via email to Lisa@sdmunicipalleague.org.
Those who register to attend the webinars will be emailed the login and call-in information one week prior to each workshop date.
If you have any questions about the in-person or webinar workshops, please contact Lori Martinec at Martinec@sdmunicipalleague.org or at 605-224-8654.
- Posted by asbsd
- 0 Comments