It is extremely important for school districts and school boards to have effective school board policies that are consistent with state and federal law. School board policies are not merely guidelines or suggestions.
“Policies of a school district, especially those negotiated with bargaining representatives for the protection of teachers, have the full force and effect of law, and legally bind the school district.” Wessington Springs Ed. Assoc. v. Wessington springs Sch. Dist., 467 N.W. 2d 101 (S.D. 1991).
ASBSD’s comprehensive line of Policy Services range from basic services included with ASBSD membership to fee and subscription based custom policy manual development.
ASBSD Policy Services Website is a member-only service and requires a User ID and Password assigned by ASBSD to view the sample policies.
Download the ASBSD Policy Services brochure here.
INCLUDED WITH ASBSD MEMBERSHIP
- ASBSD Sample Policies and Exhibits:
- Hundreds of easily searchable, up-to-date sample policies and exhibits are linked to the appropriate legal references and cross referenced to other relevant sample policies;
- ASBSD sample policies and exhibits are for the exclusive use and benefit of ASBSD member school districts, board members and school administrators when reviewing, analyzing, revising and drafting school district policies;
- New and modified ASBSD sample policies;
- ASBSD sample policies and exhibits are copyrighted by the Associated School Boards of South Dakota and do not constitute legal advice. School board members and school administrators of ASBSD member schools may copy ASBSD sample policies and exhibits for the purpose of assisting the local school district when drafting or amending school district policies;
- To access the ASBSD sample policies, go to the Policy Services website , login and then click on the Policies tab. If help is needed to access the sample policies, contact Kay Thomson-Tieszen, Policy Services Associate, at (605) 773-5204 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Policy Alert:
- New and Amended Policies Following Legislative Session:
- Current legal topics:
- White papers on significant legal issues.
ASBSD FEE BASED POLICY SERVICES:
- Policy review, analysis, revision and drafting of school district policies;
- Collective Bargaining Agreement review and analysis;
- Employee and Student Handbook review, analysis and revision;
- Policy Services Cost Information can be found on the Policy Services website.
ASBSD SUBSCRIPTION BASED ONLINE POLICY SERVICES PACKAGE:
“One of the most useful tools we have ever used to conduct a comprehensive review of board policies.” Edmunds Central Superintendent Karen Fox
Along with the current ASBSD sample school policies, consultation to policy questions and Policy Alerts at no cost to member districts is a subscription based package that will streamline your school board policy process. Our online policy service can provide your district with:
- Personalized website hosted by ASBSD and Simbli (a component of the Georgia School Board Association);
- Ability to review your Districts policies at any time through your district’s policy page;
- In-depth analysis, review, revision and drafting of your School Districts policies;
- Access, edit and update your current policies and add new policies in real time;
- Ability to search policies of other school websites hosted by ASBSD and Simbli.
“The school board and administration wanted to revise existing policy to reflect current issues and legislation. Having the capability to edit policy online, in real time, will only expedite the process and make it seamless.” Deuel Superintendent Chad Schiernbeck said.
Download the ASBSD Online Policy Services brochure here.
“The ASBSD Policy Service process allowed our school board to thoroughly review our policies in a streamlined and consistent manner.” Bennett County Superintendent Stacy Halverson
ASBSD Subscription Based Online Policy Services Package is available for ASBSD Member schools. There is a one-time set up fee of $1,000, which includes online training for use of software and ten hours of in‐depth analysis and review of your policies, written amendments to current policies and drafting of new policies. There is an annual hosting fee which is based on your district’s enrollment:
- Less Than 250 — $300
- 251 to 500 — $600
- 501 to 750 — $900
- 751 to 1,000 — $1,200
- 1,001 to 1,750 — $1,500
- 1,751 to 2,500 — $1,800
- 2,501 to 5,000 — $2,400
- 5,001 to 7,500 — $3,000
- 7,501 to 25,000 — $3,600
- Over 25,000 — $4,300
“The school board and administration felt this was the best way to thoroughly review and make current the school’s policies.” Redfield Superintendent Shad Storley
Twenty-seven school districts are currently members of ASBSD’s online school board policy community: Alcester-Hudson, Bennett County, Burke, Castlewood, Centerville, De Smet, Deuel, Dupree, Edmunds Central, Elkton, Frederick Area, Gregory, Haakon, Howard, Iroquois, Kimball, Lemmon, Leola, McIntosh, Miller, Redfield, Sisseton, Summit, Tripp-Delmont, Waubay, Willow Lake and Winner.
“The ability to edit online policies will help in expediting the process of updating the board policies.” Lemmon Business Manager Anita Stugelmeyer
If you would like additional information on how our online policy services can streamline your district’s school board policy process, please contact Director of Policy and Legal Services Gerry Kaufman at email@example.com or 605-773-2513.