ASBSD’s guide will prepare new, current and potential school board candidates for their role on the board.
“The latest edition of the guide walks interested individuals through the steps of becoming a school board candidate, what’s expected of current school board members and the qualities that make up a good school board member,” Royer said.
In addition, the guide introduces four key laws and one sample school board policy that new candidates should familiarize themselves with:
- Open Meeting Law SDCL 1-25-1;
- Executive Session Law SDCL 1-25-2;
- Pecuniary Interest Law SDCL 6-1-17;
- Employment of a Board member by the school district SDCL 13-43-1; and
- School Board member Code of Ethics (policy)
There are multiple ways to access the video:
- Simply click this link; or
- Visit the ASBSD Publications & Forms page (https://asbsd.org/index.php/publications-forms/) and under the “For Board Members” header click A Guide for School Board Candidates (Video) or A Guide for School Board Candidates (PDF); or
- Go to the ASBSD Board Development web page (https://asbsd.org/index.php/services/board-training/) and click the “A Guide for School Board Candidates” link highlighted in blue.
The print version of the guide can be downloaded here and on each page listed above, as well.
“We want new school board candidates and school districts to utilize this as a tool to help prepare members for their pivotal role in South Dakota’s public education system,” Royer said.
If you have questions about the guide, contact Royer at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 605-773-2504.