Be a part of the S.D. Summit on Civic Education and Engagement
The Chiesman Center for Democracy is inviting the public to participate in an important round table discussion on civic education that will take place next month in Pierre.
Help develop a set of recommendations to be shared and acted upon by those organizations interested in moving adults and young people toward a more educated, informed citizenry, excited about our democratic society at the South Dakota Summit on Civic Education and Engagement.
Along with The Chiesman Center for Democracy, ASBSD, the S.D. Humanities Council, the Mary Chilton DAR Foundation, S.D. Municipal League and the S.D. Association of County Commissioners will participate in the Summit, which is FREE attend.
Summit participants will work on answering the following questions:
- How would you define civic engagement?
- Is civic engagement and education working in South Dakota?
- What resources and efforts are needed to get citizens to participate in the democratic process?
- What steps should be taken, and by whom, to implement or expand current civic education and citizen engagement initiatives?
- How can this translate into enhanced citizen involvement in public policy issues and participatory government?
Download the event flyer here.
Attendees will also learn what is currently being done in South Dakota to promote and encourage civic learning, as well as civic/community engagement and democratic participation.
The Summit will be held Thursday, June 23rd from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Ramkota Conference Center in Pierre. Attendees are asked to register by Friday, June 17th through one of three methods:
- Online at sdcivicsummit.eventbrite.com;
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Or call 605-341-4311.
Space is limited to the first 100 participants. Lunch will be provided for all summit participants. If you have questions about the event, please contact The Chiesman Center at 605-341-4311 or at email@example.com.
- Posted by asbsd
- 0 Comments