ASBSD Board Recognition Program – ALL
The ASBSD Board Recognition Program is designed to recognize school boards for their dedicated and ethical service to the students of South Dakota. This program will recognize board members’ participation in outside activities, board development and training, and demonstrated leadership at various areas and levels.
How does the recognition program work?
By participating in ASBSD activities, training opportunities and demonstrating leadership at the local, state and national level, board members accumulate points to achieve awards. For each level of award, Gold, Silver, and Bronze, point totals are counted in three separate categories. In order to qualify for any board award, some points must be earned in all three categories.
Points are totaled throughout the fiscal year (July 1-June), but GAVEL Training counts for a total of three years under Learning Opportunities.
ALL: ACT, LEARN, LEAD
ACT: Activities in this category demonstrate participation at various board functions. Examples would include attending Annual Convention, Delegate Assembly or the NSBA national convention. This category is measured, and points are assigned, as to the functions a board member has attended.
- ASBSD-SASD Annual Convention 20 pts.
- Delegate Assembly 25 pts.
- NSBA National Convention 20 pts.
- Presenter @ ASBSD-SASD Annual Convention 20 pts.
- Presenter @ NSBA National Convention 20 pts.
LEARN: Activities in this category center around board member training opportunities board members have attended and completed. Examples would include attending face to face training sessions for board specific workshops or participating in ASBSD regional events, webinars or online courses. Points are assigned based on the learning opportunity and participation.
- GAVEL Face-to-Face Training 40 pts.
- Collective Bargaining Webinar 30 pts.
- LAN Update Webinar 20 pts.
- School Law Webinar 20 pts.
- School Law Seminar 40 pts.
- New School Board Member Workshop 40 pts.
- New School Board Member SBU Course 40 pts.
- ASBSD Board Engagement Webinar 20 pts.
- Wednesdays with Wermedal meeting/webinar 20 pts.
- Other Training Opportunities not listed 20 pts.
LEAD: Activities in this category focus on leadership events or activities where board members take on a leadership role or participate in leadership training. Examples would include serving as state board officer, attending the President’s Workshop, or representing your District at ASBSD’s Delegate Assembly. Points are assigned based upon the position or role held and activity participation.
- ASBSD Board Director 50 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – President 50 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – Past President 50 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – 2nd VP 25 pts.
- ASBSD Board Officer – 1st VP 25 pts.
- ASBPT Protective Trust Board Member 50 pts.
- ASBSD Board Engagement webinar 25 pts.
- Delegate Assembly appointee 25 pts.
- LAN Member appointee 25 pts.
- School Board President Workshop 40 pts.
- School Board President SBU Course 40 pts.
- State Education Panel Member 50 pts.
Total all categories (ACT, LEARN, LEAD) for a cumulative score of the board using all board members points earned. The cumulative score must have some points in each category by any Board member to be eligible for an award.
Gold Level School Board
500 cumulative point total
Silver Level School Board
350 cumulative point total
Bronze Level School Board
250 cumulative point total
In the course of a fiscal year (July 1-June 30), your school board had three members attend the ASBSD-SASD Annual Convention, and you had a board member attend ASBSD Delegate Assembly, your Board would earn 85 points in the ACT category.
In the same year, your Board (7 members) had GAVEL Face-to-Face Training in your District on-site, three other Board members participate in a Wednesdays with Wade meeting, one attend a New School Board Member Workshop and one take part in a School Law Webinar. Your Board would earn 400 points in the LEARN category.
Also, in that school year, your Board appointed a Delegate and a LAN member (Legislative Action Network). Your Board would earn 50 points in the LEAD category.
ACT – 85
LEARN – 400
LEAD – 50
Total: 535 points = Gold Level Board
If you would like to know how many ALL points your board has earned thus far or what opportunities are available to earn ALL points, contact Tyler at email@example.com.