ASBSD Board of Director members met for the second time in 2015 in Keystone on April 24-25 and took part in a strategic planning activity and approved the Association’s fiscal year 2016 budget among other actions.
Board of Director members also met with Blue Ribbon Task Force members, read about it here.
Directors reviewed ASBSD’s strategic path over the past three years and planned for the future; working together to list the strengths of ASBSD, areas to improve upon, challenges to the Association and ideas to advance the ASBSD’s mission: Partnering. Advocating. Leading.
“The clearer you are with our direction, the easier it is to do things we’re supposed to do,” ASBSD Executive Director Wade Pogany said.
Directors focused on increasing board member participation in the many different activities hosted by ASBSD. President Denise Lutkemeier suggested an additional goal “focusing on engagement” of board members be added and the board concurred.
A fourth goal was added, to the current set:
- Provide school board members and board-superintendent teams with valuable leadership development.
- Deliver valuable, useful and accessible member services.
- Strengthen broad-based advocacy programs.
- Increase board member participation and engagement.
“We’ll get to work on the new goal and continue our work on our previous ones,” Pogany said.
The FY16 budget was also approved by Directors. With the approval of the $1.9 million budget comes a change in ASBSD’s organizational chart, as current Director of the Protective Trust Matt Flett will also assume the role of Chief Financial Officer on July 1 following the retirement of longtime CFO Bill Lynch.
The move comes as the Protective Trust’s health fund transitions providers from Avera Health Plans to Wellmark. Read a message from Matt about the move here.
The Board of Directors also:
- Discussed the ASBSD award applications, which can be found on the Publications and Forms page on the ASBSD website. Additional information will be sent out in the coming weeks.
- Reviewed ASBSD’s current Governance Structure and discussed board vacancies in the Southeast Region’s 265 and Under and 266-699 categories and the Western Region’s 265 and Under category. If you would like to apply for the open position, please contact ASBSD Executive Secretary Katie Mitchell-Boe at Katie@asbsd.org or 605-773-2502. All applications will be forwarded to President Lutkemeier.
- Received a final legislative report from Pogany. Download our 2015 ASBSD Legislative Summary here.
- Reviewed the current discussion surrounding the South Dakota High School Activities Association’s transgender student participation policy. Pogany told the group the SDHSAA will be surveying their membership about the future of the policy. ASBSD will continue to work on potential school board policy related to the matter.
- Appointed President Lutkemeier, 1st Vice President Eric Stroeder, 2nd Vice President Anita Peterson, Board of Director Tom Farrel of Madison and Board of Director Orson Ward of Lead-Deadwood to the Policy and Resolutions Committee, which will review ASBSD’s current resolutions and standing positions.
- The next ASBSD Board of Director’s meeting will be held in Sioux Falls on Wednesday, Aug. 5.